Sunday, January 3, 2010

Dreamfields + Paula Deen = Delicious

The bitter cold weather outside has given me a hankering for warm, rich comfort foods. In particular, I've been craving homemade macaroni and cheese.

Pasta dishes are typically carb heavy, and therefore not DS-friendly. That is where Dreamfields Pasta saves the day. Admittedly, I am not 100% clear on the science behind Dreamfields. Their website has an explanation about why the "protected carbs" are not digested, but it all sounds a bit hinky to me. However, given that testing has apparently verified that it works, I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I choose to simply think of it as magic.

Anyway, this evening, armed with a box of Dreamfields elbow macaroni, I decided to make Paula Deen's Creamy Macaroni and Cheese .

It came out delicious. To my palate, it was completely indistinguishable from ordinary mac and cheese. The numbers were excellent as well. Each serving had 16 grams fat, 6 grams net carbs, and 11 grams protein.

If you like your mac and cheese straight-up, those numbers really rock.

Personally, I wanted to bump up the protein a bit. Besides, what isn't better with bacon, right? I crumbled two slices of crispy, thick-cut bacon and scattered them on top of my portion.  It added a fantastic crunchy texture, along with 8 additional grams of protein and 10 additional grams of fat.

I have a few other mix-in ideas for enhancing the flavor and increasing the protein: ham, seasoned ground beef, italian sausage. I may use some or all of these on the leftovers.

1 comment: