Monday, January 4, 2010

My 5 Favorite Products Of The Moment



1. Ortega Whole Grain Corn Taco Shells
Crunchy tacos are a fun, tasty way to get in protein. These are fairly generous in size and only 5 net carbs per shell. They would pair well with almost any protein: seasoned beef, pork, chicken, fish, shrimp or beans.  I like to load my taco with carne asada as a base, then pile it high with shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, avocado and lettuce. Each shell contains: 3 g fat, 8 g carbs, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein 


2. Tropicana Light Orangeade
Since my Duodenal Switch, getting in fluids can be a drag. Plain water does not go down well. Crystal Light, Sugar-Free Kool-Aid and beverages of that ilk taste overly sweet and artificial to me. Carbonation doesn't agree with me, and I don't do caffeine for unrelated medical reasons.

That's why this stuff is such a god-send. It tastes fantastic and I can't detect any hint of sickeningly sweet artificiality. I think this is owing to the fact that it contains a bit of real fruit juice. The juice does give it 5 calories per 8 ounce serving, but I think it's well worth it. An 8-ounce serving contains: 5 cals, 0 fat, >1 g carbs, 0 protein 


3. Amish Classics Cheese Cubes
These high-quality cheese cubes are sold in a zip-lock style bag. This brand is more protein-dense than its competitors. My local grocery store carries the Swiss, Hot Pepper, and Colby Jack varieties. Right now, I am on a Colby Jack kick. These make a great snack on the go, and the flavor and texture beats the heck out of string cheese. I have this as a mid-morning snack almost daily. A serving of 4 cubes contains: 9 g fat, >1 g carb, 7 g protein 




4. Jif To Go Creamy Peanut Butter Cups
Jif is definitely not the most low-carb peanut butter on the market, but I have been unable to find an equally yummy replacement. I am willing to accept the few additional carbs in exchange for keeping the taste. It is still an excellent source of protein and fat.

These individually packaged cups are an extremely convenient grab-and-go snack. Some days, I unabashedly dive in with my spoon and eat the peanut butter straight up. I also enjoy these with a few apple slices or baby carrots. Each cup contains: 32 g fat, 15 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 15 g protein

5. Breyer's CarbSmart Almond Ice Cream Bars
These are only 5 net carbs a piece, and they taste amazing!

The first time I bit into this ice cream bar, I could have kissed the box. It is coated in dark rather than milk chocolate, which helps keep the Splenda-sweetened flavor from being cloyingly sweet. The almonds add a hint of saltiness, which helps to further mellow out the sweetness. Beneath the crispy chocolate shell there is rich, creamy vanilla ice cream. What a welcome change from the wimpy, watery, skim-milk based "ice cream" that I've encountered in so many other diet ice cream bars over the years.

I count myself fortunate in that I don't have any issues with sugar alcohols. My sweet tooth has also abated to a large extent since surgery, so I don't crave these constantly. Pre-op, I could have easily knocked off a box of ice cream bars in one sitting. Now, I might indulge in one of these a couple of times a week, and that is more than enough to satisfy my internal ice cream beast. Each bar contains: 15 g fat, 9 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 3 g sugar alcohol, 3 g protein



3 comments:

  1. YUM! Some of those look so good I want to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I must ask you because every store that carried the Tropicana Light Orangeade has now stopped. Are you still able to find it...and if not what are you now drinking? Because I have recently taken to crystal light and totally agree :-P. I used to be able to tolerate it ...well might I add. But since having health issues...it tastes so awful...like stale especially the orange!

    ReplyDelete